As you are aware, in the last few days there have been extreme and unprecedented measures taken worldwide in relation to social distancing in our travel, work and leisure activities. This has included lockdowns for recreational group and even solo cycling - in some cases a total recreational cycling bans as seen in France & Spain (with fines enforced).
Today, in light of revised directions from the authorities, Cycling NSW has reversed its position and cancelled a range of events, national & local races.
In addition, Cycling NSW has revised guidance and cautioned clubs and ride organisers for bunch rides.
At the time of writing, in Australia, we are sure many of you will continue to get out for fresh air on your own. Of course it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you might meet up along popular routes and on regular days to continue your exercise and enjoyment.
The priority at MC at this time is to ensure the business is not exposing either our 'ride family' or team to elevated risks unnecessarily.
If social riding groups are formed, please note Cycling NSW guidelines for health and safety at this time:
- Keep a gap of at least 1.5 metres between riders, including while stopped at intersections
- Limit groups or bunches to 10 or fewer riders
- Ensure all riders are self-sufficient in case of mechanical issues
- At cafes, leave helmets, gloves and sunglasses away from tables
- Maintain responsible personal and equipment hygiene to the highest level
We will review this situation daily and aim to get everyone back together on the road ASAP.
You can keep updated on social platforms on the very latest on MC bunch rides: